Torta di Ricotta (Italian cake)

This dessert has an Italian origin and is similar to the cheesecake. It's softer for my taste. It could be that I'm used to eat it since I was a kid. 

The original recipe calls for ricotta and eggs. Since I don't have any dairy, there is an option of making it with vegan ricotta available in markets now.

I uses to buy the crust from the freezer at the supermarket. Pepperidge Farm Frozen Puff Pastry Sheets are vegan approved.

2016 Update: I found that Whole Foods Market carries Aussie Bakery puff pastry that seems to be a good option with no trans fats, no hydrogenated oils, no high fructose corn syrup, and the most important thing... is 100% vegan!

Aussie Bakery Puff Pastry
Ingredients for the filling:

  •  14 oz tofu ricotta or cashew ricotta
  •  5 oz sugar
  •  1 lemon zest
Directions:
 
Put all the ingredients in a container and mix. Pour it over one of the crust and cover with the other one. Cook at 400F for 30 minutes.

Serves 4-6

Torta di Ricotta

Torta di Ricotta
Torta di Ricotta
Enjoy!